You may be asking, "What's the big deal about NYFA and Jerry Sherlock editing their own pages?" (as detailed in our posts here ,,,, and we'll have another "exposé" soon).
Wikipedia's COI page provides some examples for what constitutes incompatibility between Wikipedia's aims of neutrality and the aims of an individual:
- Using material you yourself have written or published is allowed within reason, but only if it is notable and conforms to the content policies. Excessive self-citation is strongly discouraged.
- If the top four Wiki users editing NYFA's page ( IP 184.108.40.206 [55 edits, proven to be NYFA], IP 220.127.116.11 [28 edits, Netherlands-based, but only edits NYFA], and Users Kalinpmoon [26 edits] & Obilon [26 edits]) all turn out to be NYFA-run, then that is "excessive self-citation". (Other suspicious Users: Kalinmoon [3 edits], Nyfa [3 edits])
- If you are receiving monetary or other benefits or considerations to edit Wikipedia as a representative of an organization (whether directly as an employee or contractor, or indirectly as an employee or contractor of a firm hired by that organization) OR you expect to derive monetary or other benefits or considerations from editing Wikipedia; for example, by being the owner, officer, or other stakeholder of a company or other organization about which you are writing.
- Open and shut case, right? We've proven here that Sherlock, or someone under his hire, is the anonymous editor of 55 of NYFA's page edits.
- COI often presents itself in the form of self-promotion, including advertising links, personal website links, personal or semi-personal photos, or other material that appears to promote the private or commercial interests of the editor, or their associates.
- Goes hand-in-hand with "excessive self-citation".
- It is not recommended that you write an article about yourself. If you are notable, someone else will notice you and write the article.
- Jerry Sherlock's article (here) has been edited 12 times by NYFA's proven IP. Suspicious User Oblion was the article's creator, and went on to edit another 16 times. Suspicious User Kalinmoon revised the page 7 times. Another User, Colfer2, at one time "reverted a bunch of adspeak by Obilon and a not-notable NYT article about the school's TV commercials".